Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I Need Some Advice

We have put a new swing set up in our yard and it has a sand box underneath. It has been a lot of fun and the kids love playing on it and in the sand box however, there are a few neighborhood cats around and I have had to scoop out cat poop and pee a few times already.

So, what should we do? I tried covering it with a tarp and the cat still got in. Now tonight, I tried the tarp again, this time making it more secure. I could have my dad cut a piece of wood to make a lid for it but that would be a big pain in the patooty (I would be cleaning the toys out of the sandbox every time we leave the yard which could be 3 + times a day). Tonight Joe picked up a cat trap from the police station. They said the best thing to do would be to trap it, I am all for that but I feel kinda bad. The neighbors behind us have 3 cats and I don't think they'd notice the first one missing but I do think they would notice once all of them are gone. Anyway, If I could I would move out into the country I would but that's not an option, so for now, we'll have to figure something out...any suggestions?

13 comments:

Staci said...

Welcome back to Blog land!! Well one of the reasons we went with pea rock was because of neighborhood cats. We haven't found them to be pooping in our sandbox because we put pearock down instead of sand. It isn't as much fun as sand for the kids, but they have managed to have fun. It's a little late for that for you guys now, but I like the trap idea. . . I can't stand the neighborhood cats that poop and pea in my flower beds and what not I can't imagine how I would feel about them in my kids' sand box. I would talk with the neighbors and tell them that you don't appreciate the cats peaing and pooping in the sandbox that your kids play in and to better watch their cats or that the police gave you a trap for them. Or just set it out!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michael and Michelle said...

Do you guys have anti-freeze you could accidentlly leave out....JUST KIDDING!! That wouldn't be very nice. I hear you though. We have cats coming into our yard all the time. It drives me crazy! Plus how gross for you kids. Trapping them is a great idea! I didn't know you could do that. I can't wait to hear how many you guys get.
Michelle

Anonymous said...

Although we don't have a problem with cats, we have neighbors whose dogs start barking in their yard early in the morning and other neighbors whose entire lawn is an unsightly weed patch. Obviously, there are ordinances against these things, but our desire is to have redemptive relationships with our neighbors. We do our best to serve others in our neighborhood and stay on friendly terms with everyone so that we can be a witness for Christ in word and deed. I'm sure you're completely justified in trapping cats, but what would that do for your relationships with your neighbors and reputation in the neighborhood? Although the wood cover means extra work for you, it might be a peaceful way to solve the problem.

Kristi said...

We too have a big sandbox...and I have wondered if there are any cats that come into it. I have never really seen any around the house (or neighborhood much either)...but, I guess that doesn't mean anything!

I look forward to hearing about what you do and the advice that is given. I hope and pray that all goes well!

Laura Lu said...

i have to agree with anonymous. keep the peace. love the cats. maybe put a bowl of milk out on the front of your lawn so it will divert the poor little kitty.

Heather said...

I vote trapping them. :-) Then put the cat in the trap on your neighbors front porch. I'm guessing this trap is just like a carrier of some kind.

Our church has a daycare and we've had the same problem. The director eventually called the kitty police. :-(

Anonymous said...

From Andrea,
Have you asked your neighbors to give their advice about how to keep cat waste from being near your children? Asking advice from them might come across pretty friendly.
If it keeps happening you could be pro-active by stressing the dangers and your concerns about your children being exposed to urine and poop.
The traps are a good idea, if you warn the family ahead of time.
Last resort - call animal control.
Our neighbor is having problems with this kind of situation, and they're pretty stressed about it.
Keep us posted about what happens. This is bummer for your entire family.

Laura Lu said...

cats have feelings too.

Heather said...

Thanks everyone for all the advice. So far I am thinking of taking Stepping out of the boats idea (bowl of milk) and mixing it with Michelle's idea (accidentally leave out some anti-freeze) and together I may have the perfect solution!!

Actually, I haven't had the heart to set out the trap yet...it's still sitting in the back of Joe's truck. I don't know that animal control will take care of this, I think they just want us to trap it and then take it to the police station. If nobody claims it in 3 days then it will go to the pound.
I don't even know if the neighbors will miss it, it doesn't have tags on it. We have thought about talking with them but we know they won't do anything about it. They have 3 dogs, 3 cats and 3 kids and when we replaced THEIR fence that their big mean dog kept sticking it's head through, they were put out by the fact that they would have to keep their dog on a leash for a few days. They ended up just putting a temporary fence of chicken wire up for the weekend so they wouldn't have to put their dogs on a leash so I highly doubt they will be willing to do the same for their cats, everyday.

Laura Lu said...

why do you guys have to be such haters?

make love not war.

so you gotta put up with some furry little creatures that were created by God. they have to put up with Joe laying out on the back deck in his shorts, rubbed in baby oil, laying on tin-foil...i mean, the tan looks good and all, but think of the harmful fumes they have to breath with all that baby oil in the air...not to mention the glare they get from the tinfoil.

give a little take a little...(and by that I don't mean take their cat.)

Lori said...

OH, the laughs...

No advice here - I just like to read and laugh...read and laugh! It's great!

I've missed your blog posts!!!

:-)

Tengesdal 4 said...

Ahhhh.... the joys of the sandbox.... and the sorrows of the "litterbox". I remember having the same problems with kitties when we were little and my mom tried the "talk to the neighbor" who SWORE that her cat never got out and so then my mom thought "well, if it isn't HER cat- it must be a stray- so we'll just put the ol' trap out" and it trapped the little stray..... and well... I guess the neighbor had to shell out a few dollars for cat therapy b/c it suffered from PTSD from being in that trap! (so.... I guess it really WAS her cat!) Anyway- good luck!