I am just going to fore worn you. My brain is definitely in pregnancy "mush" mode. I have about a million things running through my head especially since we moved into our new home. Most of them are trivial...painting, finding fabric, decorating, etc. So as you read my blog it may be a little random and disjointed but I'll do my best...
I was reading today in Psalm 84:3 Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young-a place near your altar, O Lord Almighty, my King and my God. 4 Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.
We obviously have found our earthly home and I definitely feel myself going through the "nesting phase" all over again that's part of the reason that I want to just get everything done yesterday. But more importantly is making our home here God's dwelling place. As I was thinking about this, obviously our hearts are always God's dwelling place as well as our home, but as we're raising children it is just impressed upon my heart all the more. Which led me to think about our TV. Oh, that stupid TV. Joe and I decided to get cable when we moved into our new home. Before we had up to channel 23, now we have up to 71 or something. All I know is Joe can watch FOX News again and I have HGTV and the Food Network. Honestly though, after watching HGTV these last few evenings, I wish we didn't have the stupid thing. The last thing that I want to see is all of the trivial stupid stuff people are doing with their money. (Again, this is my blog and it's going to be opinionated.) Especially after watching my dear friends sell their pop-up camper just to get a little bit more money to help pay for their adoption so they don't have to go into debt. But the funny thing is, is that I use to love watching it before, and now after not having it for awhile it really puts things into perspective again. I was reading in John Piper's book "Pierced by the WORD" and my jaw literally dropped when he said they haven't owned a TV for 34 years except for 3 when they lived in Germany and they used it to learn the language. Wow! I didn't realize people actually did this! Then just today I was reading in Deuteronomy 6:6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
How often are we just sitting at home? I know for our family right now there are times when all of us are just sitting at home. Not very often, but sometimes. But are we talking about the Lord and his promises? Or how often are we walking along the road? It's more like driving in the minivan with the kids buckled into their car seats, each with their own sippy cup and a little snack with some sort of sing-a-long songs playing. Sure the sing-a-long songs can be about Jesus. I'm sure we all remember the B-I-B-L-E. But I still think there is something even more special about verbalizing it. So that your children can hear how important Christ is to you. Not just singing I am a C, I am a CH, I am a CHRISTIAN. Sure we always talk about Christ at bed time but even that can be tough with a 3 year old. I am realizing how much more intentional it needs to be throughout the rest of the day. It's like anything, I need to be thinking about it ahead of time, planning and being purposeful. So that when Isaac wakes up tomorrow and we go for a walk, we can go for a walk with the purpose of finding all the things that God created and when Eva gets older she'll be used to talking about the things that God created and reciting Bible verses because she'll be hearing her brother doing it too.
Oh, how simple but yet so hard. It's not like TV is going to encourage me in any of those ways. These are just the thoughts of my heart as I seek the Lord and we raise our family to know and love HIM! Let me end with this...
Jesus said, "Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock."
Matthew 7:24-25
Psalm 90:1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place throughout all generations.
Oh Lord,
May You be the rock of my children and their dwelling place. May their roots go so deeply into Your precious Word that when life's troubles come their way they will never be swayed. They will stand firm in You! Amen!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Very thought provoking, convicting, and motivating. Thanks for your words.
Well said Heather. I realized this past year in dental school how much time I can waste watching nothing. Watching one hockey game is enough, but I find myself sitting and watching highlights of the game I just got done watching. Sometimes it feels good to turn it off and let the Lord use the silence to speak to me.
--Jake
Heth, you are such a wonderful mom! The fact that you are sensitive to the Lord in this matter shows where your heart is. It was so great to read this because I was just desperately wanting to hook our cable/TV back up this week...what a blessing you are to remind me of what my priorities need to be! As for the camper...after meeting the boys we just wish we had more to sell to bring them home sooner! :)
You're the best! I just love you!
Post a Comment