I don't know what got me thinking about this today but I was thinking about the age old debate Nature vs. Nurture. Now, I haven't done any research on the subject buy my brain tells me that it has to be a little bit of both. Eva is only 14 months old and already she loves shoes. She loves to put them on, wear them and look at them. She loves getting them out of the closet, trying to wear mine and she loves to get her brothers and give them to him as well. She doesn't even say mama yet but she says shoes. She also likes puppies, again, she doesn't say my name but she barks like a dog. She likes to hold her puppy (stuffed animal not the real thing) and snuggle with it and give it hugs and kisses. Then I started thinking about Isaac, he liked playing with shoes too but he mostly liked taking them on and off not wearing them all around the house. He does like to give his sister hugs but most of the time it's more like a tackle. He also tries to snuggle with his sister but that is almost borderline suffocation. It's amazing to me the differences of little boys and little girls. I even see it in my husband. The other day he was out mowing the lawn at our new house and Isaac was right there with him pushing his lawnmower all over the yard following Joe around. Then Joe got to the garden spot full of tall overgrown weeds. First you have to understand that the garden borders the fence in our back yard and there are two patches of grass one on either side of the garden and there is also a large rock garden to the south of the patches of grass and the garden that is rather large and full of shrubs and a tree. So, to get from one patch of grass to the other you would need to back up and go around the rock garden to get to the other side. Unless of coarse, you're my husband. Now you have to understand that the weeds are probably up to his waist and thick. However, it only makes sense to cut a path from the first spot of grass to the second spot of grass directly through the garden, right? I think most men would say to themselves no, I better not, I don't want to ruin my mower. But Joe just looks at me and says "I want to get a new mower anyway!" Well, he cut the path, I did see him pushing through it harder then usual but much to his dismay that old mower is still purring like a kitten, for now anyway. And as for the whole nature vs. nurture debate Isaac was watching learning more about what it means to be a man. Rest assured that is not a lesson he would've learned from his mommy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Heather,
If you notice in the picture everyone is smiling and enjoying themselves (obviously not going to do actual work) and then there is me. Grimice on my face, ready for the long haul and a full day of work. I wonder what it's like to be in the picture looking like you are going to work hard and then not do any work. How do some people sleep at night??
By the way, I come down on the little bit of both (nature/nuture). I have taken classes where this has been discussed and it seems to be the only logical reasoning. To say that boys are aggressive and rough because this is what they are taught is a little far fetched. A boy will turn a harmless stick into some sort of weapon without anyone ever telling him to do that. It is just the beauty of creation. Boys and girls are different and I thank God for that. Life would be boring if it were not that way.
--Jake
Post a Comment