Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Joy in the pain of shame?

I was really excited to post on my blog last night but after hours of entering all kinds of different information I just couldn't get it figured out. I think that part of the problem was that I created it after midnight while I was sick and taking cold medicine and for me that is not a good combo!


Anyway, what I really wanted to write about was something that I have been pondering in my heart for a few days now. It was after reading Acts 5:41 The apostles left the sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name,...

I don't know that I am willing to suffer disgrace, I would like to think that I am but the reality is that I am not. What has brought this about? Well, we are moving at the end of the month and our new home will be two houses down from an elementary school. Everyone keeps telling me how nice it will be to be so close to the school when in reality I already know we will be homeschooling. Sure, I tell some people that we plan on homeschooling but not everyone. I was talking with my brother one evening and telling him that I planned on homeschooling and all of the advantages of it and he started debating me point by point on why I could still do all of the things I'd like to do with homeschool even if my kids went to school. However, when it's all said and done, what it comes down to is that the Lord has placed this conviction on my heart and to not obey Him would be total disobedience. That's when it hit me! I don't tell people that I am homeschooling because it is a conviction that the Lord has placed on my heart for fear of them thinking I am a weirdo keeping my kids locked up inside all day and only letting them associate with people that have been pre-approved. The reality is I am humbly trying to be obedient to His calling in my life and that is what He has placed upon my heart. No I don't know how many years I will homeschool but I do know that is where we will be starting and that we will be following His leading as we continue.
So, when it comes to rejoicing in suffering I am learning everyday to swollow my pride, and keep my eyes focused on Him to bring Him the glory even if it means suffering disgrace.

3 comments:

Carol said...

I too am not sure how much suffering I would be willing to endure...and then to rejoice in it!Your little ones are blessed that you are willing to endure shame in raising them as God directs you. Love, Carol

Laura Lu said...

Nobody wonders if you are weirdo...we all just KNOW that! And besides I am so happy to have you join me over in Weirdoville! You won't ever regret your decision to be obedient to Christ. Yes, Satan may try to get you to doubt it...but now you have this post posted so you keep coming back to what you know the Lord is asking of you. You go forward in obedience! We live by faith not by sight! I love you, dear!

BFFWWW.com ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, At our church I met a women who homeschools her children. She also felt that God laid it on her heart to teach her children. She told me that the best thing about it is having a special bond with her kids. Being at home with them and exploring new ideas and concepts together is something that she wouldn't have with them if she didn't homeschool. It goes beyond the mother/son relationship. I thought that was pretty neat.